Saturday, January 30, 2010

Surprise! You’re going to be grandparents!

When you are trying to conceive(TTC) and your super excited about, all you can think about is when the time comes, how are you going to tell your immediate family? I have spent hours, day, and weeks thinking about how I’m going to tell our parents they are going to be grandparents. How was I going to tell our sisters they were going to be aunts?

Well I can tell you that you can plan all you want, but when you find out your having a baby, all our thinking and planning can go right out the window. That’s what happened with us. So, I’ll share the plan, and then how it really happened.
There was no doubt in our mind that our sisters would be the 1st to know. Secretly, I think they wanted it the most. But I also knew our parents would be thrilled and welcome the news with smiles and open arms.

The Plan
As soon as we find out we are expecting I would make a shirt for each sister. Each shirt will say “I’m gonna be an aunt!” Since both sisters are away at school, mine (19) and his (21), would get a package in the mail with instruction to call before opening. What a surprise uh?

How it really Happened
We couldn’t wait. So we deiced the day after we found out to conference call them and tell them at the same time. Well of course both were in class. Really? Who takes night classes?! As they get out of class they each called and we shared the news. Needless to say we get two very excited reactions. One was even a very high pitch squeal!

The Plan
The plan that I was leaning toward was to invite both sets of parents for dinner. This would have been a 2 hour drive for my parents, so it would have been a week or two before we would be able to do it. We would have dinner and be enjoying our get together, we would somehow, in a creative or clever way, tell them they were going to be grandparents. Robert of course wanted to just say “So you are all so old you’re going to be grandparents!”

How it really happened
We couldn’t take it anymore, so we went over to his parents and spilled the beans in the kitchen over leftover brownies. My mother-in-law thought we were joking! But after promising her this was something we wouldn’t joke about, the news sunk in. There were hugs and questions and two very happy parents!

Telling my parents was going be the hard one. They weren’t going to be available over the weekend, so we were going to have to do it during the week. I wanted to do it face to face, but the only thing I could think of was using our webcams. So we used Skype (pretty cool little program) and that’s how we told them. I don’t think they were that shocked, but they were defiantly very happy!


So as you can see the hours thinking about the perfect way to share the news, just didn’t happen the way I had expected. But I’m so much happier now that they all know and we can all share the excitement together!

No comments: